All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
jvillanueva

Reply with quote  #16 
2.1 -
1. Describing children's actions
2. Dos instead of Don'ts
3. Time in
4. Aware touch
5. Give choices
6. Redirect
7. Time out
8. Support positive peer interaction

2.2 -
Remain kind and patient when working with a problem child. 

LeahKerr

Reply with quote  #17 
2.1  Teachers that are attentive, calm, kind, and respectful to their students will (usually) receive that same treatment from their children in their classrooms. 

2.2  I would like to have Guidance Policies that show how to deal with children in situations that may be difficult. For example, if a child gets hurt really bad, I would like to know exactly how I should deal with the situation or go about dealing with it in a calm and comforting matter. 
Olyvia.hayter

Reply with quote  #18 
Discussions 2: Stimulate your thinking.

2.1. What adult responses to a child's or children's behavior have you have seen work well?

Redirecting and giving choices seem to be responses that work well.

2.2. Every program has Guidance Polices. If you were writing them, what would you want them to say?

I would want my policy to say always use kind words and make sure you are going into the response calm.
rjfranklin23

Reply with quote  #19 
2.1. Redirecting a child's attention, encouraging a child to use their words instead of being physical when frustrated, staying calm so as not to escalate the situation, and acknowledging the child's feelings have worked well, in my experience.

2.2. The Guidance Policies should talk about responding to children in a calm, positive way, and being sure not to scold children. The policies would say that the teacher should focus on a better way to respond in the future, or consider how the other child felt, to be constructive rather than punishing. 
devfreim

Reply with quote  #20 
2.1) Asking the child what happened and how it made them feel, redirecting the child's, responding calmly.

2.2) It would be focusing around turning any conflict into a teachable moment. Saying no or don't may work in the moment, but it won't do anything to curtail that same behavior later.
melverston

Reply with quote  #21 
Discussions 2: Stimulate your thinking.
2.1. What adult responses to a child's or children's behavior have you have seen work well?
What are you feeling right now? Do you want to talk right now or do you need some time alone? I understand you are feeling a strong emotion right now, how can I help you?

2.2. Every program has Guidance Polices. If you were writing them, what would you want them to say?
I would make sure that feelings were always validated. You don't want students to feel like their emotions aren't real or don't matter.
shannonsandberg4

Reply with quote  #22 

2.1. What adult responses to a child's or children's behavior have you have seen work well?

It is great when adults respond to child with enthusiasm and joy. Reiterating what a child did that you are praising them for is good to reinforce positive behavior. 

2.2. Every program has Guidance Polices. If you were writing them, what would you want them to say?

I would include pieces about how staff should interact between each other and I would include pieces about what is expected throughout the day. 

SelenaGreen86

Reply with quote  #23 
I think it is great when an adult gets on the child's level and actually listens with enthusiasm to them, instead of imposing their own thoughts and will on the child.

I would include something about one on one time with each child to the best of their ability throughout the day. I would also want to see the teachers using positive language with the children, and best and most positive ways to discipline children as well.
annasophia

Reply with quote  #24 
2.1 I've seen it work well when adults respond to negative behavior calmly yet sternly so that the child knows that you're serious, but doesn't get more worked up from the reaction. 

2.2 I would want them to convey the importance of hearing the child's point of view, and validating the child's feelings because to them their emotions are just as real even if the way they are behaving is negative.
blooms

Reply with quote  #25 
2.1 I have found that ignoring negative behavior (so long as it is not harmful) typically helps. Offering alternate activities and giving choices helps as well.

2.2 I would ask that when teachers are correcting behavior, they get on the child's eye level and give them time to respond without interruption
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.