All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
LeahKerr

Reply with quote  #16 
1.1  When people want to make connections with other people, they want to talk and interact in a positive manner and they want to find things that make each other similar; such as similar likes in sports, music, careers, friends, or schools. 

1.2  When people listen to children intently and treat them with respect and kindness, it makes me appreciate their ability to connect with younger children and be patient with them. 

1.3 The guidelines to setting rules for children are: keeping the children safe, keeping the teachers safe, and keeping other things in the buildings or in the play areas safe. Rules should also be simple and easy to understand. 
Olyvia.hayter

Reply with quote  #17 
Discussions 1: Stimulate your thinking.

1.1. When people want to make connections. ...How do they act? How do they talk? How do they listen? In what ways is this culturally embedded?

When people want to make connections they will act interested, they will talk in a positive manner, they will listen with an open mind. This can all be culturally embedded by how their families have taught them to make connections.

1.2. How have you seen others connect with children in ways that you appreciate?

I have seen others make connections with children by spending one on one time with them talking about a subject that the child is interested in.

1.3. What are the guidelines about setting rules?

The guidelines are making sure you keep yourself safe, keep others safe, and keep other things safe.
rjfranklin23

Reply with quote  #18 
1.1. When people want to connect, they make eye contact, act approachable and friendly. They use a calm tone to seem welcoming. People ask questions about the other person to show they are available. The spoken language and the non-verbal communication is different in different cultures. 

1.2. They get down to the child's level, and use language and gestures that a child can understand. They talk about topics the child can relate to. Having a good sense of humor and being good-natured around children is a must.

1.3. Rules should be in the context in which the behavior happens, and appropriate for children's abilities. Rules should be simple and about what you want the child to do (vs not to do). 
devfreim

Reply with quote  #19 
1.1) People who want to connect have open and welcoming body language. THey might meet your eye contact or smile or wave or something similar. they might also ask a question, comment on something you're doing/wearing, or something similar just to start a conversation. These cues tend to vary depending on the person's culture.

1.2) They treat whatever the child is saying as important and valued. They kneel or squat so that they are at the same height and can make meaningful eye contact. 

1.3) Rules should be set to keep the children and staff safe. They should also be consistant and designed in a way that is easy for the children to understand and to follow.
melverston

Reply with quote  #20 

Discussions 1: Stimulate your thinking.

1.1. When people want to make connections. ...How do they act? How do they talk? How do they listen? In what ways is this culturally embedded?
When people want to make connections visually first if they want to get to know you. Often I find when a parent wants to interact with me they will smile, wave, or start walking towards me while making eye contact. They often start by saying hello or how are you today? They will usually listen for you to respond before speaking. This is the typical greeting we have in our culture but it can vary for families with different cultural histories. Some families are very shy and subtle, while others find it easy to interact. 

1.2. How have you seen others connect with children in ways that you appreciate?
I have seen people connect with children by having signature greetings and inside jokes. I think this is really special in creating a bond with children, it makes them feel special and like they matter because you remembered. 

1.3. What are the guidelines about setting rules?
You have to make sure that you are making connections in professional and appropriate ways. 

shannonsandberg4

Reply with quote  #21 

1.1. When people want to make connections. ...How do they act? How do they talk? How do they listen? In what ways is this culturally embedded?

W
hen people want to make connections, there is often conversation and eye contact that happens along with body language that shows interest. People usually are cheery in order to show interest. Some norms are culturally created so they might differ by region or person. 

1.2. How have you seen others connect with children in ways that you appreciate?

W
hen adults show interest as a student as a whole person, instead of a number, the child feels a difference. When connections are forming, both parties have to be vulnerable and work to connect and so when care givers are genuine and authentic, it goes a long way. 

What are the guidelines about setting rules?

K
eep it simple and easy to follow

SelenaGreen86

Reply with quote  #22 
There are typically physical and nonverbal indicators that someone wants to make contact with you, i.e. body language, Eye contact; There are non verbals as well, i.e. Speaking directly to you, tone of voice.

I have seen people stoop down to the child's level and that I appreciate because it makes it seem as if you are directly trying to connect with the child instead of trying to be above them, and more powerful than the child.

To make sure you are setting rules that are easy to follow, and appropriate, to keep everyone safe, and consistent.
annasophia

Reply with quote  #23 
1.1 When people want to make connections they tend to show signs of being genuine such as eye contact, tone, smiling, empathy, etc.

1.2 I have seen people get down to the child's level to make eye contact, and use language that the child can understand.

1.3 Keep the rules direct and easy to understand without multiple interpretations  
blooms

Reply with quote  #24 
1.1 When people want to make connections, they make eye contact, listen without giving advice and respond warmly and with empathy and kindness.

1.2 When someone gets on a child's level to speak to them and speaks to them with the respect that they deserve using language they can grasp

1.3 We keep each other, ourselves and our things safe
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.