All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
lindsaychilders

Reply with quote  #1 

1.1. When people want to make connections. ...How do they act? How do they talk? How do they listen? In what ways is this culturally embedded?
T
hey focus their eyes and bodies towards the person they want to connect with. They speak and listen with intent. Some cultures have different ways of using volume body and eye contact to show respect.

1.2. How have you seen others connect with children in ways that you appreciate? I have seen many teachers engage children with calm voices. Smiling and showing they are listening with nodding and eye contact. They position their bodies at the child's level and do not raise their voices.

1.3. What are the guidelines about setting rules?
• We keep ourselves safe
• We keep each other safe.
• We keep our things safe.

lindsaychilders

Reply with quote  #2 

2.1. What adult responses to a child's or children's behavior have you have seen work well?
C
alm non-violent fair understanding interactions have worked well. Using children's language. 

2.2. Every program has Guidance Polices. If you were writing them, what would you want them to say?
I would want them to respect the child and the teacher and the family.

lindsaychilders

Reply with quote  #3 

3.1. What are some things, large or small, that you have seen that caused a child to feel disconnected?

3.2. How do children signal that they need help?

3.3. Describe the Listen, Limit, Listen process. Which step is toughest for you?

3.4. How have you stopped yourself or gotten help when you felt you might harm a child?

3.1  I have seen kids come in later than they normally do during a day and feel disconnected from the schedule.  I have seen them feel disconnected if the play is rougher or noisier than they are comfy with.
When children feel stressed they can feel hurt, confused, alone, afraid, embarrassed, guilty, sad, and so on. When feeling these ways, their thinking is less flexible and clear. In turn, when they cannot think well, the feelings of hurt, isolation and confusion get intensified. It is no wonder that behavior goes off-track!
The second LISTEN is hardest.  Emotions are important . release the stress. it can be loud!
I have never felt like I might physically harm a child but I have had a more veteran teacher observe my interactions to see if there are places that I could improve specific interactions with a student to reduce stress for us both.

AmberCColter

Reply with quote  #4 
1.1 They make eye contact with the person when culturally accepted. Their bodies are turned towards them.

1.2 I really appreciate when teachers crouch down and talk with children at their eye level. This shows the child you are really engaged on what you're saying.

1.3 We keep ourselves safe
We keep each other safe
We keep our things safe
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.