All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
MKazimer

Reply with quote  #1 
Discussion 3.2: Writing effective weekly schedules ...
How do you write a lesson plan for young children? Outline your thought process and approach.

To write a lesson plan for young children, I first think about the age range that I am preparing to engage. I think think about at least two other activities for other student to engage in if they have a different learning preference.
I think about how I can relate to their community, holidays and seasons that are occurring or changing. I see what materials I have, what materials I need and then see if I can plan some material gathering outside or in the classroom.
I like to make sure I have multiple options so that I can be flexible with my timing if the children decide they aren't ready for a certain activity or they are interested in a different topic.
MariaGravena

Reply with quote  #2 
For an effective weekly schedules we have to plan activities for each developmental stage, respecting the individual needs and interests of each child, we also need to consider the children with special needs and the opportunity for repeat activities.
Pink love

Reply with quote  #3 
It is very important to prepare weekly schedules. I like to prepare fun activities that my toddlers will enjoy and also that will help the individual needs.
wadswsie000

Reply with quote  #4 
Plan activities that are consistent throughout each day and week. Write out specifically what they will do each part of the day so they develop a sense of routine
jvillanueva

Reply with quote  #5 
Due the variety of ages, temperaments and personalities, a schedule should be changed so as to match the group of children. It is more trial and error; if an activity doesn't work for a group, you need to find a new one. 
devfreim

Reply with quote  #6 
When lesson planning, I first think of a range of activities that will be age appropriate. Then I think about whether those activities are appropriate for all of the children’s needs (cultural, social, etc). I then think of ways to extend the learning for the children who don’t find the activities to be a challenge. Then I think of the materials needed to create an engaging activity.
shannonsandberg4

Reply with quote  #7 
While planning lessons for young children, it is important to plan activities that have a range of engagement and room to make accommodations. It is good to think about talking about the physical world, holidays or other things happening in the world. Kids are learning about their surroundings and other so it is important to discuss them in safe place.
melverston

Reply with quote  #8 
How do you write a lesson plan for young children? Outline your thought process and approach?
You will need to first determine what age range the activity will be for. After you will need to consider each individual child's developmental level in order to ensure it will not be too difficult for some and not challenging enough for others. Once you have found an activity that each student will be able to engage in and learn from you will need to make a plan for how you will approach the activity. I like to start by listing the supplies I will need and what prep will need to be done before the kids begin. It is important to be prepared with an activity planned for young children as you often will not have a patient crew waiting if you forgot to prep. It is also important to have extras and alternative options so you are prepared if a child needs to re-do theirs, wants to do another, or doesn't want to do this activity.
peteintro71

Reply with quote  #9 
In order to write a quality lesson plan you need to know the age range of the children you are trying to engage with and the individual interests of each child. Are there any children with special needs that should to be thought of and what modifications may need to be made? You also need to factor in things like family traditions and holiday while also focusing more on small group and individual activities vs large groups.
kpayo418

Reply with quote  #10 
Knowing the ages of the children you are planning to interact with is the first step. Then knowing each individual, any special needs, any behaviors to pay attention to first. Then prepare for the activity and prep well for it, knowing what materials are needed and making sure you have them available.
annasophia

Reply with quote  #11 
When making a lesson plan for young children I look at the age range I'm planning for, and come up with many different activities that target skills and challenges age appropriate for the children. A quality lesson plan should have activities that target sensory/motor skills, cultural and social knowledge, as well as creativity and academics. It is also important to choose activities that children in all areas of development for the class with enjoy, or to make different options that will accommodate for these differences. 
blooms

Reply with quote  #12 
When making lesson plans, I first think of my group and their age range in general. I go by typical milestones and my first draft has activities that engage motor skills, cognitive, and emotional areas of all children. Then, looking at my notes of each child, I mold that general layout to what they specifically need.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.