All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
MKazimer

Reply with quote  #1 
Discussion 3.1: Selecting appropriate classroom materials ...
What types of materials, equipment and activities should I provide for the children and how do I determine if it is developmentally appropriate?

I should provide different materials that range in color and texture. I should also provide materials that children are age range appropriate so that students are able to master a new skill providing them an initial challenge when first introducing it.
In order to determine if it is developmentally appropriate I check the age on the material and then determine where my children are in terms of their developmental age at the time they would be using the material. It is important that they are able to use the materials without a risk of choking or getting hurt in any other way.
Deniseseaman

Reply with quote  #2 
I am in infant care and we provide a variety of environments for our children to receive different types of stimulation in order to not only develop gross motor skills but also fine motor skills. Cleanliness and safety are of the utmost importance and we make sure to have a well maintained environment. With the variety of ages, and the drastic changes that take place in a babies first year of life, we make sure to meet their needs, wants and desires. Bottle feeding, diaper time and high chair feeding take up a large amount of our time so we make sure we offer quality time while the babies aren’t sleeping, be it tummy time, fine motor skill development, eye hand coordination, etc.
pmarch76

Reply with quote  #3 
3.1: Selecting appropriate classroom materials.

what types of materials, equipment and activities should I provide for the children?

colors, and textures. Developmental for their appropriate age.Challenge them on their first try with instruction.

devfreim

Reply with quote  #4 
I work with preschoolers, so maki g sure it isn’t toxic or a choking hazard is first. It’s also important to make sure it’s culturally appropriate for all the kids in my class. It’s also important that the materials come in a wide variety of colors and textures to stimulate the children’s development.
peteintro71

Reply with quote  #5 
Materials should be age range appropriate but also provide materials that are slightly outside of that range for those students that may have advanced interests. Having knowledge or each individual child’s current skills and interest will help inform the decision on what to and not to include in the classroom. Materials that provide a challenge for those trying to master a new skill.
Materials that vary in color and texture. They should also be safe to use. Be cautious about choking risks or any other ways a child may be injured. Material should cover a wide range of child needs as well from reading, writing, large motor to small motor, group play and quiet play etc.
srambow

Reply with quote  #6 
Materials should be age appropriate for the children, visually stimulating and also safe. They should be challenging to the age range to progress their development.

Reply with quote  #7 
Materials should be age appropriate for the children, visually stimulating and also safe. They should be challenging to the age range to progress their development. Having a schedule throughout the day is a great way for kids to learn and develop routine.

Reply with quote  #8 
Materials should be those that are stimulating for the age range that will use them. There should be a variety in the materials in color, texture, use, and use to make sure multiple different interest areas are available.
blooms

Reply with quote  #9 
Materials should be age appropriate and held against the WAC age developmental milestones of your group. They should also be flexible enough for modification for each individual. They should engage the children mentally, emotionally and socially.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.