All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
jacquelinemariedolim

Reply with quote  #1 
The Teaching Strategies GOLD online is the most appealing to me.

Pros:
It seems easy to operate. It is fully bilingual (English and Spanish). It claims to save time by allowing seamless data exchange between the ChildPlus.net system and itself. Overall classroom quality is increased through using this system.

Cons:
It does look like set up and training is required to use the system.
MariaGravena

Reply with quote  #2 
knowing that each child is unique I prefer the High Scope Preschool COR, it takes more time than checklist, but we can make small notes to help us to really understand the needs, the development stage, and the strengths and weakness of each child. It could be a good add with we can do it the High Scope Preschool and the checklist together.
Deniseseaman

Reply with quote  #3 
I prefer the checklist since I am with infants. It is amazing to see how fast they go through their first year and how they progress so quickly. Sometimes you don’t realize what skill a child doesn’t have until you actually go through the checklist with the infant and then you are able to help them with a skill that they may be having trouble with or may be avoiding or not being given an opportunity to develop that skill.
jvillanueva

Reply with quote  #4 
Out of all the tools listed on Handout 5, I prefer the child skills method. Reading through the checklist, I found that it would apply well to the age-range that I work with. Working with one-year olds, they are still quite young.I think this checklist works for both infants and young toddlers. They grow fast, but milestones are small, simple events. 

Pros: The checklist helps you keep track of your child's development in a physical, social, and emotional way. It is simple, easy to navigate and understand. 

Cons: This checklist would only work for a younger group of kids. It is not generalizeable for school age children or older toddlers. 
shannonsandberg4

Reply with quote  #5 
I think High Scope seems like the best option because it allows for the really important fact that kids develop at different rates, this is more than a checklist. I think it seems the most use friendly too.
melverston

Reply with quote  #6 
Discussion 2.3: Evaluate current observation tools.
I prefer the checklist because it is easy to work with and a great way to visually see what is an area with room for growth you could assist with as the childs teacher.
peteintro71

Reply with quote  #7 
I find that using an anecdotal narrative, combined with photos (and or videos), tells a powerful and engaging story of a child’s life and experiences while in the classroom. With thoughtful assessment it can guide teachers, and parents, to where a child is currently developmentally, and where they need to be supported.
kpayo418

Reply with quote  #8 
I like the Preschool COR

personally I enjoy recording specific events in the child's lives that could possibly be their way of showing they are soon to hit a major milestone in their life. I'd rather write anecdotes than checks something that has been preformulated, it's kind of biased and having an expectation that they will do a certain thing and then when the expectation is not met, there is disappointment if not some thought of maybe they are behind in some way.
srambow

Reply with quote  #9 
I am in favor of the TS GOLD.

Pros: it's bilingual, generates customized reports, you can add update and archive records for their programs.

Cons: you will probably need to be trained in how to use it, it's not a checklist so all records would have to be looked up online instead of looking through notes.

Reply with quote  #10 
I prefer the checklist because it clearly lays out each developmental goal, and provides a space to document an event with the date that it occurs that shows a developmental goal is reached. One significant con, however, is that this specific checklist is only shown in English, when in many circumstances it may be beneficial for it to be available in another language (specifically Spanish).
blooms

Reply with quote  #11 
I like to use checklists, photos and videos to document a child's progress and development. This helps me to be able to better review what is needed for the individual child during lesson planning. It also aids me in being able to visualize their progress in learning and growing. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.