All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
lsharman

Reply with quote  #1 
What does it take to communicate effectively with families?

In order to effectively communicate with families, it takes a lot of patience, strong listening skills, and a desire to benefit the child as your ultimate goal. It also helps to be friendly and approachable. Oftentimes, parents can feel defensive if they feel like their parenting is being criticized. Many times, they are worried about how their child is doing or nervous to talk to the teacher. Mitigating these fears by being warm while still communicating the important things you wish to discuss is crucial when establishing effective communication.
MariaGravena

Reply with quote  #2 

The caregivers and the family should act like partners on the development of the child, to best ensure that this communication is effective, the parents and caregivers need to arrange time to talk about significant events that occurred in the child life since you saw each other last. We can do this discussion when the kid are arriving, or when the parents are returning, we can also write notes about the child day and leave on their backpack. Family and caregivers need to work together to make to communicate with each other.

SierraKowalski

Reply with quote  #3 
In my experience effective parent communcation requires confidence, understanding, and good note taking. Understanding a parent's point of view and being sensitive to cultural differences as well as being welcome is so important. At the same time parents also want to know that their child is in good hands. Documenting growth or things you wish to discuss properly and being confident will ensure the parent see that you care about their child and are a strong leader.
christy.smith

Reply with quote  #4 
3.1 What does it take to communicate effectively with families.
Parents want to choose a childcare where they feel comfortable leaving their child. This can be established by the impression you give as a caregiver. Ask questions and show you care about the families perspective. Be specific about information you give to parents and family regarding your observations of the child. Be positive but not judgmental. Parents like to hear positive things as much as concerns. Acknowledge and respect different opinions, beliefs and cultures with each child's family and support the parents abilities. Be concerned and open about emotions. Consider this: Am I able to be emotionally responsive and supportive in my care giving and teaching, fostering an overall positive adult-child relationship? 
In my experience parents love hearing about their child's day at daycare. They want to know how their day went and any positive or negative feedback. As a parent myself I want to know that my child's caregiver truly cares about my child and has the same goals in mind.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.