All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
CGirl

Reply with quote  #1 
Discussions 3: Stimulate your thinking.

3.1. What are some things, large or small, that you have seen that caused a child to feel disconnected?
Not including the child in the group or greeting them immediately upon arrival; not acknowledging their point of view.

3.2. How do children signal that they need help?
By being unreasonable, not sharing, crying, tantrums, anything that draws attention (including negative attention).

3.3. Describe the Listen, Limit, Listen process. Which step is toughest for you?
The Listen, Limit, Listen process is an immensely helpful process to help a child overcome undesirable behavior. First of all, Listen is to get on the child's eye level, and respectfully listen to their point of view after asking them what is wrong. Then Limit, or simply step in to limit the undesirable behavior gently, firmly, and calmly. Then Listen again, or let the child release her feelings. Stay calm and know that her release of feelings after you step in is constructive. Do not get angry; know you are helping her. Empathy helps a lot in this step, and your calm presence will calm the child as well. I would stay that step 2, or Limit, is the toughest for me because you know the child will probably release her feelings afterwards. However, know that you are helping her release these feelings by doing this.
3.4. How have you stopped yourself or gotten help when you felt you might harm a child?
I would step away from the situation or remind myself of how I felt when I went through similar emotions. I could also take deep breaths and pray, asking for patience, trust, and empathy.
tkphiki

Reply with quote  #2 
3.1 - when a child is sick they feel disconnected

3.2 - they show signs of being "off track" like being bratty or disobedient

3.3 - Listen: getting down to their level, Limit: stepping in when a child has unreasonable behavior, Listen: the "stress relief step" where crying can happens and you need to be there for them.

For me personally, I think the hardest step is the listen part because its sometimes difficult to be there the whole time the child is letting their emotions go when others may need help too.

3.4 - I have just plainly asked for help and once things have been taken care of, I have stepped away to gather my own self and thoughts.
tkphiki

Reply with quote  #3 
3.1 - when a child is sick they feel disconnected

3.2 - they show signs of being "off track" like being bratty or disobedient

3.3 - Listen: getting down to their level, Limit: stepping in when a child has unreasonable behavior, Listen: the "stress relief step" where crying can happens and you need to be there for them.

For me personally, I think the hardest step is the listen part because its sometimes difficult to be there the whole time the child is letting their emotions go when others may need help too.

3.4 - I have just plainly asked for help and once things have been taken care of, I have stepped away to gather my own self and thoughts.
Seattle206

Reply with quote  #4 
When a child is sick they may feel disconnected.

Many kids who are off track will try to draw attention to themself weather it is negative or positive attention. They may not share, scream, throw tantrums and become unreasonable

Get down to the child’s level; look at them and try to understand them when you ask what is wrong. Limit; stepping in when the undesired leaves behavior happens while being firm and calm. Then listen again; this is where the studen will release their feelings; remain calm and try to be understanding in this step, also make sure that the child knows that you are there for them. The limit step is probably the hardest for myself.

I step away from the situation and give myself space if the time permits.
AmberCColter

Reply with quote  #5 
3.1 Not acknowledging them when they're trying to get your attention. Not including them in activities.

3.2 Crying, throwing temper tantrums, hitting or biting

3.3 Listen: Get down to their level

Limit: Intervene when child's behavior is unreasonable

Listen: Listen to child. This is where child will start crying and get emotional. Keep calm

3.4 I call for another teacher to help out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.