All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
Hayleym

Reply with quote  #1 
Discussions 3: Stimulate your thinking.

3.1. What are some things, large or small, that you have seen that caused a child to feel disconnected?
I've seen a child feel disconnected from getting hurt, as well as a child feeling left out during an activity.

3.2. How do children signal that they need help?
Any off track behavior is a signal that they need help.

3.3. Describe the Listen, Limit, Listen process. Which step is toughest for you?
The last part of the Listen process is the toughest part because it's hard for me to understand why the child is crying, or is upset after I explain to he or she why they can't behavior a certain way.

3.4. How have you stopped yourself or gotten help when you felt you might harm a child?
I never felt that I would harm a child.
jodiehkm

Reply with quote  #2 
Discussions 3 : stimulate your thinking.

3.1. what are some things, large or small, that you have seen that caused a child to feel disconnected? 

When children feel stressed they can feel hurt, confused, alone, afraid, embarrassed, guilty, sad, and so on. Example would be screaming and hitting a child. The child might go into a very stressful and fearful mode.

3.2. How do children signal that they need help? 

They scream, kick, cry or go in to a corner and not talk to anyone.

3.3. Describe the Listen, Limit, Listen process. Which step is toughest for you? 

Listen to what the child needs. 
To limit is to remove the child from harming themselves or others. 
Listen to the child's emotional response after they are safe from escalating "off-track" behavior. 
The toughest step would be the limiting part because children in a big group, especially in class mix around and things happen fast. Too many students at once will be a disadvantage.

3.4. How have you stopped yourself or gotten help when you felt you might harm a child? 

I have not experienced this yet. However, if I were to run out of patience, I would most probably get another teacher to step in for me immediately.
Seattle206

Reply with quote  #3 
I work at a Japanese preschool and most kids pick up the language pretty fast but there are a few that don’t really have interest in the language and we can see them sometimes feeling confused or not being able to cummunicate with some of the other children clearly.

Off track behavior that is not normal for the child like screaming kicking and becoming anti social.

Listen is when you take the time to listen to what the child needs
Limiting is removing the child and making sure that they are not going to hurt them self or others.
Listen is again where you listen to the child but this time is usually more emotional.
I think the final listen is hard because sometimes not always do i have the time to be able to sit with a child through this time as there are many other students.

This is not something that i have personally exprianced but where i work there are many people that are willing to help and step in for me while i cool down and get myself together.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.