All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
CGirl

Reply with quote  #1 
Discussion 3.4: After reading Handout 4, "Age Appropriate Behavior Scenarios," first, identify a scenario, then answer the following questions about that scenario in the appropriate discussion forum.

Scenario 2: Toddler Scenario. You have been working with toddlers at the Stay-and-Play Child Care Center for over a year and love their energy and curiosity! A new teacher assistant is subbing with you and tells two toddlers struggling over a toy phone to “share nicely” which just escalates the fighting. She finally removes the toy and tells them no one can have it if they don’t share. The toddlers are now both crying and whining for the phone and the rest of the class is starting to as well. The sub tells you that she is used to kindergartners and doesn’t know what to do with toddlers.

1. Do you think this behavior or expectation is age appropriate? (check the Guidelines if unsure)
I do think this behavior is age appropriate; toddlers do not understand/know the concept of sharing, however it can be modeled.

2. How could you explain this to the parents/co- workers/etc.?
I could tell the new teacher assistant that this is normal behavior, and she doesn't have to feel bad about it; she is helping them learn the concept.

3. Why might the child(ren) act this way?
Because they do not understand the concept of sharing yet, and then the class picks up on their tone.

4. What would you suggest and is there anything you can do to prevent this situation/problem from happening again?
I would suggest to distract the toddlers with another fun activity and try to come up with an activity that teaches/models the sharing concept every other day, at least. Praise attempts to share, even if unintentional, and model sharing between/among co-workers. To prevent this situation from happening again, you could try to include more toy phones in the classroom; educate the teachers on toddler child development such as this, and provide training on positive guidance and distractions for toddlers.

Kaylamaree00

Reply with quote  #2 
i read the infant scenario
1. this behavior is exteamly normal for his age
2. i would tell them that they have nothing to worry about its normal and my 10 month old did the same thing
3. the child is acting this way becuase they dont want their mom to leave adn they are more attached to mom then they are the careivers, but once in the care of the caregivers the same thing will happen if one of them leaves.
4. i might suggest settign thme down and leavign quickly so they dont have to listen to them cry and that way the child wont be able to see them and they can esily find a distraction.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.