All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
vanessaallen

Reply with quote  #1 
Discussion 3.1: How would you approach a parent or caregiver about the need for a referral for developmental screening of their child? What do you need to consider before talking to a parent or caregiver?
I would set up a meeting with the parents and the director of the center. I would let them know my concerns first before just assuming and ask about home life.
Rebeccagendro

Reply with quote  #2 
I would meet with the parent or caregiver and be as respectful as possible and voice my concerns. It's important to be communicative with parents about their children. Some things to consider are the child's home life. We don't want to be subjective and just assume things so we need to open up with the parent about those kind of things.

Reply with quote  #3 
i would first set up a meeting with the parents of the child, and the centers head director, then i would then inform them on what the meeting is about, and then i would let them know my concerns regarding their child's development progress and then i would, i would need to consider the childs religion, the family background and what the parents are and arent okay with.
Ritsu T

Reply with quote  #4 
I will work with a coworker to script our discussion.  I will share the information objectively according to the documentation os our observations and knowledge.  I will have a list of local resources available to the parent/caregivers.
allison85beau

Reply with quote  #5 
It's important to be objective, not to place blame on other children, but to state the facts and only the facts, not your opinion. Make sure to document everything so that the parent knows what happened and that they're able to deal with it as well.
Kaylamaree00

Reply with quote  #6 
Discussion 3.1: How would you approach a parent or caregiver about the need for a referral for developmental screening of their child? What do you need to consider before talking to a parent or caregiver?

i would first bring it up with my director then we would togethter talk to them about what we think is going on.
zwikfors

Reply with quote  #7 
I would plan what I need to say to a parent first, maybe with assistance from the center's director. It is best to consider what observations of the child you have so you can present those to the parent as evidence.
HPhilyaw

Reply with quote  #8 
I would attempt to voice my concerns about the development of their child in a one-on-one setting if possible. I would be objective and provide them with observations that I have documented. I would keep in mind that the parents may become defensive or upset and try to be as kind and open minded as possible, while giving them as much room to share as they might need. I would then provide them with available resources and assure them that we can continue to work together as a team to provide the best care for their child.
AmberCColter

Reply with quote  #9 
I would first discuss with the rest of the teachers in the classroom and director what the next step would be. Set up a meeting with the parents or caregivers and explain to them about what you observed in their development but also explain that all children develop at a different rate.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.