All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
CarterNick

Reply with quote  #1 
What influences your thinking?

List things that influence your thinking or point of view. (Answers might include things like family, religious beliefs, media, education, peers or political affiliation.) Try to prioritize your list.

1. Political affiliation. I have liberal ideals which means I support freedom of religion, immigration, and taking care of your community.
2. Religion. I was raised Christian as I grew up but the past year I have decided to not follow any religions which has made me more open minded to learning about other religions and has been very interesting. Recently I've gone with my friend to her synagogue and have learned a lot about Judaism that way and I'd love to learn more about other religions.
3. Peers. My friends and I have similar beliefs that our families don't share with us so we share it with each other so we will have discussions on the latest topics and how we feel about it.

Reflect on the ways people respond to one another when points of view differ. Do we ever change our views? What kinds of things influence us to change our perspective?

In my experience I have unfortunately met a lot of people who don't like to listen to other people with differing points of view. They will argue and simply tell them they are wrong and won't listen to what they have to say. I'm not like that, I like to listen to other points of view and try to see myself in other people's shoes and will admit that I am wrong if I believe I am. We can change views, I know I'm completely different than I was in High School I even left my religion which was a huge deal. I think seeing how things negatively impact people can change your perspective and trying to place yourself in someone else's shoes helps too.
melverston

Reply with quote  #2 
1. Diversity
I try to hold my teaching accountable to reach all students in my class regardless or their diversity.
2. Beliefs
I try to hold my teaching accountable to not disregard any student or families beliefs. 
3. Experience
I am often influenced to try new ways of phrasing ideas in order to reach more students. I observe many talented speakers and am often learning from their techniques and using these in my class.

Often I struggle with parents and coworkers having different points of view on a student. I try to remember that if it takes listening to their ideas first before responding to help a student, that is the order I need to go in. After listening to their view I then can explain why I would like to try a different way, and that if my way does not work we can address other options as well.
ehawkq

Reply with quote  #3 
What influences your thinking? 1)The things that influence my thinking is are my families well being if I know that a certain action I am about to take is going to affect my family in a negative way I won't go through with that option and come up with a new plan with my families involvement. Another think that influences my thinking is the children that I teach I don't want any of the children in my care to feel excluded so I figure out a activity that all my students can participate in.
2)Some people are stuck in their beliefs and only certain circumstances can change that but when you are working with children you have to be able to approach the situation in different ways and that requires collaboration with other professionals you work with. You always want to do what is best for the children. The kinds of things that influence us to change our perspective are our families, our peers, the internet, life experience, and mistakes.

annasophia

Reply with quote  #4 
The things that most strongly influence my thinking on more important subjects are the experiences I've had growing up, and how certain memories I have have influenced me emotionally causing me to form an opinion. While I don't always agree with the opinions of my family and friends, much of my thinking is influenced by them as well.

Often times when people have differing points of view on topics like political, social, and religious views the instinct is to become defensive, or even angry. This causes us to shut down, and not have an open mind that allows us to even hear someone else's ideas. I believe that when we are able to have confidence in our own point of view, but also hear someone else's view it can allow us to change our perspective on a subject, or at least understand the opposing view. Even if we aren't able to understand it's important to listen.
willsmichelle36

Reply with quote  #5 
1. Diversity
I try to hold my teaching accountable to reach all students in my class regardless or their diversity.
2. Beliefs
I try to hold my teaching accountable to not disregard any student or families beliefs. 
3. Experience
I am often influenced to try new ways of phrasing ideas in order to reach more students. I observe many talented speakers and am often learning from their techniques and using these in my class.
4. decision
you have to make a decision of how your gonna talk to parent.
Often I struggle with parents and coworkers having different points of view on a student. I try to remember that if it takes listening to their ideas first before responding to help a student and their behavior , that is the order I need to go in. After listening to their view I then can explain why I would like to try a different way, and that if my way does not work we can address other options
iluvme

Reply with quote  #6 
I would definitely feel comfortable serving a child of another culture. I would introduce the new child to everyone. We will discuss different foods, clothing, schooling, and etc during circle time with the new child. I would have the new child's parent make a dish of their culture to introduce to the kids in the classroom. I would first send out permission slips asking for parents permission to try a dish of another culture.
lindsaychilders

Reply with quote  #7 

Discussion 2.2: How can you develop respectful, reciprocal relationships with families in your practice? Do you think an understanding of diversity plays a part? An understanding of yourself?

I think that Diversity plays a part in respectful reciprocal relationships with families!  We can develop these relationships by removing judgement and assumption from our communication. Ask questions. Be warm and inviting. Share my culture, as well.  Our class is better the more diverse it is in race culture community economics, interests, etc.

Discussion 2.3For lead teachers - How can you create a welcoming environment, encouraging staff to collaborate with children and their families?

In the past, as a lead teacher, I modeled this for assistant teachers, as well as encouraged the teacher to share about his/her life.  I tried to set up times for the assistant to regularly communicate and generate interactions with the families.

Discussion 2.4: What influences your thinking?

Use the Discussion forum to share your own thoughts on the following:
My family peers and education influence me
I am likely to be influenced when engaged with respect and feel heard

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.