All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
NicoleStarr

Reply with quote  #31 
TS Gold really appeals to me in that it suggests that you don't have to spend much time away from fully interacting with students and minding the entire classroom. The only downfall that I see about it is that I work in a school that frowns upon using screens excessively, and if I'm constantly on a computer or smartphone/tablet, even if it is work-related, that is time that it may appear to the casual observer that I'm not doing my job.
lmclellan1988

Reply with quote  #32 
Of the options presented i would choose the childrens checklist. It seems to be the easiest way to track the individual childs development. Where they are doing ok and what areas they need to improve upon.  
LeahKerr

Reply with quote  #33 
I prefer the Child's Skills Checklist because it is straightforward and gives you things to observe within a child, allowing you to see how much they have grown and learned. However, I feel that this list is too small and that there are many other signs that can show how much a child has developed. 
ojack

Reply with quote  #34 
I like the child skills checklist. It is easy to understand and see what children can do and what they still may need some help learning to do.The downside is it doesn't allow you to see a rate of development.
rjfranklin23

Reply with quote  #35 
I appreciate the use of online tools in this day and age, with resources available to teachers and easy user-friendly techniques. These, like TS Gold, are appealing because they can incorporate additional resources for teachers beyond what is available in a paper-and-pencil format. The Child Skills Checklist is simple, but far less interactive.
Olyvia.hayter

Reply with quote  #36 
I would chose to use the child checklist. I have always been a hands on type of person so having a physical paper seems easiest to keep track of and use.
The pros are easy to use, physical copies, and easy to record. The only con is that you may have more information to put but not enough space.
SierraKowalski

Reply with quote  #37 
Teaching Strategies Gold is easy to use and bilingual. However, there can sometimes be occasional glitches and it's expensive.

Reply with quote  #38 

Reply with quote  #39 
-checklists
-videos
-tally lists
devfreim

Reply with quote  #40 
High Scope Preschool OSR seems like it would be the most effective observation tool for my classroom setting. Since our classroom environment is constantly in flux, I think the flexibility of using anecdotal notes to create a nuanced look at a child's development is the best mix of informational value and ease of use. 
peteintro71

Reply with quote  #41 
Discussion 3.2
Using the child skills checklist provides a solid foundation for talking about a child’s development. The check list format breaks up the many different categories and topics of development in a way that is easy to understand. But, adding in other types of assessment I feel paints a more holistic picture of a child’s learning experiences in the classroom. Pulling together a portfolio of a child’s work has the ability to demonstrate visually their progress and skill building over time. I also like the use of learning stories as a tool of development communication. These snap shots of a child’s experiences in the classroom offers a glimpse to the parents of what their child’s day is like, builds connection and communication between the parents/school/child, and can add informative development information for the parents that can expand their view their child’s “play” as being an integral part of their growth and learning journey.
Seattle206

Reply with quote  #42 
TS gold seems like it would be perfect for where i work as we don’t like to spend too much time away from the students. We do have i pads and i pods at work that would be really easy to use for this system and it seems as if it would be beneficial the only issue is it is online so it is prone to technical issues that may get in the way.
SelenaGreen86

Reply with quote  #43 
While the TS GOLD and Preschool COR have their benefits, I really believe that the Child Skills Checklist would be the most useful observation tool.  While it may not be as customizable as the other two options, the checklist provides a easy to use format that allows for notation as well as supports the teacher throughout the observation.  It is efficient and methodical, and interchangeable for each student, helping keep track of what is with in normal continuum.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.