All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
jacquelinemariedolim

Reply with quote  #1 
My observation is that communication is a key component to a child's development. We can communicate both non-verbally and verbally in order to help a child develop. Non-verbal expressions of love can be conveyed to an infant with a tender look in our eyes and a warm smile on our face. As a child grows they need love and encouraging instructions as we teach them.
grathbun

Reply with quote  #2 
i watch kids at various months on the 6 week to 1 year scale and each is at its own place in growth some moving faster and some moving slower than others. growth isnt always a checklist or text book because each child learns and grows at their own pace. i see the checklist as suggestion almost, like maybe a parent might need to figure out the things their child needs to work torwards or a parent needs to push a little harder. maybe wait a little longer to pick their child up if the child is doing tummy time.
anna.clark

Reply with quote  #3 
It amazes me at how long and extensive the list is for the milestones. It also seems like there are endless ways as a caregiver, that we can help in the process.
zwikfors

Reply with quote  #4 
The list shows a multitude of ways caregivers can help children reach milestones. I notice the vast amount of interaction babies need and how that doesn't change much as they grow. Children always need communication from caregivers.
ehughes

Reply with quote  #5 
I noticed that children development is always building on previous skills. There are quite a few skills repeated in multiple sectionswith little to no significant differences but if you compare a few development stages up it is significantly different.
SierraKowalski

Reply with quote  #6 
I thought it was interesting that at 18 months (the age of children I work with) they say to talk to your doctor because it could be a red flag if a child doesn't have at least 6 new works but don't mention a caveat for bilingual children. Children who learn more than one language usually have a slight delay in the beginning but in the long run it's vastly beneficial for brain development.

Reply with quote  #7 
I realized as I looked at the checklists how many of the things I wouldn't consider a milestone, especially for infants, I would also catch myself being like "oh yeah they did start doing that thing around that time that makes sense."
amberteresa97

Reply with quote  #8 
Each child learns and develops differently than the other. Of course there are certain developmental milestones that young children need to be achieving, at a certain pace, and with positive encouragement each child should be able to thrive at their own pace.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.