All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
Aaguilera

Reply with quote  #1 
Human diversity influences children's well-being, growth, behavior, and attitudes in many ways.
To start, human diversity influences a child's behavior and attitude the most. For example, I was took care of little girl who made contact with people of hispanic people most of her life. She was around 5 years old. Because she had little to no human diversity, when she was introduced to someone of african american heritage, she wasn't sure how to react. As a result, her behavior and attitude changed dramatically. She did not want to be near the person.
When a child has human diveristy starting at the beginning of their life, they are going to be much more accepting of people from different cultures. This is how it affects a child's well-being and growth.
NicoleStarr

Reply with quote  #2 
I find this is a fairly accurate observation. My 15 month old son is white, but his cousins are biracial, and his uncle is from West Africa. We have African American neighbors, his daycare provider is an Hispanic family, and so he doesn't give people with darker skin any special notice. I'm sure he'll notice someday, but I love that he just sees people! I can't say I was raised similarly in diversity, but I've never intentionally considered myself elite. I love embracing differences.
Ms.Heather

Reply with quote  #3 
From my experiences, the components of human diversity--language, religion, race, social class, age, gender, abilities and disabilities, temperament, family history--influence a child's well-being, behavior, attitude and growth by the day-to-day interactions with immediate family and caregivers.  Most importantly, family and caregivers can hold attitudes and beliefs about themselves, their culture and other cultures which impact how a child views themselves and others.

At the child care center that I work for, there are children from countries all over the world and English is a second language for them and their families.  I take care of a classroom of children ranging from one year until three years old and am always happy to see these very young children being together, no matter if the day is difficult or delightful, they interact as little people, almost by character rather than any other identifier.  
preetinder

Reply with quote  #4 
Diversity is a good experience for kids and we need to start at a young age. children will learn what we teach them and how we teach them
laney1097

Reply with quote  #5 
Diversity is a good experience for children and to learn at a young age. Children can learn the values of diversity especially around them.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.