All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
emmaproszek

Reply with quote  #1 
Attributes of culture help form one’s identity. Their gender, race/ethnicity, religion, abilities, life experiences, and cultural/familial background are key factors in what becomes their cultural background.
Abigail.Friedlen

Reply with quote  #2 
Culture is a way to embrace how the generation before us decided to pass down information about the way we live. Culture helps children gain a certain part of their identity and teaching kids to live side by side to different cultures is integral to success in a diverse community. 
SophiaVanG

Reply with quote  #3 
Culture is what identifies who you are and where you come from. You're race/ethnicity, gender, religion and the traditions that come along with it. As the children grow older and learn more about their culture it helps identify who they are and the greatness that comes along with it. As well as learning about their culture and who they are, they are surrounded by a diverse community and shows them the aspects of other cultures.
rjfranklin23

Reply with quote  #4 
Culture is the beliefs, heritage, social norms, and experiences used to identify a racial, religious or social group, which includes language, religion, cuisine, music and arts. I believe in the importance of developing quality early childhood settings that are culturally and developmentally appropriate and incorporate aspects of children's unique primary spoken language, religion, family tradition, beliefs in order to promote optimal learning opportunities for young children from diverse backgrounds. Those types of early learning experiences are crucial in building young children's self confidence, increasing children's awareness, appreciation and inclusion of diverse cultures and maximize children's academic achievement and educational success. I think that speaking from personal experience as working as an early childhood teacher, the ability to capitalize on young children's unique cultural experiences is what sets apart a good teacher from a mediocre teacher.
katarina.astley

Reply with quote  #5 
The attributes of culture are what molds a child's self identity. These attributes include their language(s), their familial and individual values, religion, and the gender roles portrayed to them, both at home and in the childcare center. Introducing cultural diversity to young children is essential to their success as they grow. The influence of other cultures will not only help the children have more success, it will also allow them to be aware of the differences among other people and allow them to accept and celebrate these differences, as they are what create every person's own individuality. I believe the best ways to share cultural diversity with the children would be through material in the classroom (pictures, books) or through interacting with people (other children, center staff members, parents) of different cultures. At the center where I'm employed, we have many different cultures among the staff and families. I think that our children are well exposed to cultural diversity. This exposure that they experience solidifies their self-confidence, their connection to a community, and the positive relationships that they form with culturally diverse people inside and outside the childcare center.
melverston

Reply with quote  #6 
Culture is a significant part of our identity as a whole. Our culture helps determine who we will identify with and as throughout our lives. Culture is a very broad identifier and can be powerful in many ways across our identities. An example of this is social skills that are produced by culture can set someone apart from a group. This is a concept both difficult and important to teach children. Sometimes this difference can be as subtle as the way we phrase words or the tone we use. In one culture it may be considered common to speak quick and in short phrases, while in another it may be considered rude or disrespectful. 
ehawkq

Reply with quote  #7 
Culture is what holds us together, it
is how communicate with one another, it is the norms we share in our community. For example, the clothing we choose to wear are part of our culture as well the food we choose eat and the art we pass by on the way to work. Culture surrounds every aspect of our lives and that is why it is so important that we make sure that the children we teach in our classroom understand the importance and the beauty of their own culture so that they can learn to appreciate others in their community.
annasophia

Reply with quote  #8 
Culture is attributed by aspects of life that bring groups of individuals together as communities. Much of a child's understanding of culture comes from knowledge and practices passed down through families that become essential to their identity growing up. This is why language, art, music, food, etc. are such important aspects of life, and the diversity of these attributes across different cultures is what makes it so important that we as teachers can work with families to support children in not only appreciating their own culture, but the cultures of their peers.
ysaki

Reply with quote  #9 
I speak my own language at my workplace and there are children with diverse family background. Some kids learn more than two languages, their grandparents doesn't speak english, and some kids live with extended family. All children are came from different background and their thoughts and behaviors are unique.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.