All classes are 100% mobile-friendly! If you're a new user, create a new account or read our New User Guide.  Get help logging in.  You can even translate any class to your language of choice instantly. 

Be sure to check out our NEW CLASSES!

Let's talk about kids!

Author   Comment  
Abigail.Friedlen

Reply with quote  #1 
Toddlers:
It is not a fair expectation that all toddlers will understand that sharing is necessary for relationships. Instead of saying just share nicely it has to be explained why we must share and how there is a solution by finding another toy to play with that may be similar. Children may act this way because they do not understand that the object they desire may not be theirs. We can prevent these situations by having multiple of the same toys and be praising children when they do share to show the class that sharing is a kind and positive interaction.
ehawkq

Reply with quote  #2 
1) I do believe this behavior is expected and is age appropriate because at about 9 months of age child start to show signs of "stranger danger" and this is normal because most infants only have a few trusted people in their circle such as mom and dad and the infants caregiver.
2)I would explain to the parents/co-workers that this begav is part of the developmental process and will get better with time.
3) The child might at this way if their is a new caregiver or family member in their lives that they don't yet recognize and it's just the way the brain is processing these changes.
4) To help with this behavior I would suggest to the parent to make a slow transition so that the infant gets comfortable with the new caregivers such as a few hours one day a week with the parent near by and as time goes by the time will be increased with fewer parent visits. I think this method will help reduce this kind of behavior but not completely remove it.
willsmichelle36

Reply with quote  #3 
) I do believe this behavior is expected and is age appropriate because at about 9 months of age child start to show signs of "stranger danger" and this is normal because most infants only have a few trusted people in their circle such as mom and dad and the infants caregiver.
2)I would explain to the parents/co-workers that this begav is part of the developmental process and will get better with time.
3) The child might at this way if their is a new caregiver or family member in their lives that they don't yet recognize and it's just the way the brain is processing these changes.
4) To help with this behavior I would suggest to the parent to make a slow transition so that the infant gets comfortable with the new caregivers such as a few hours one day a week with the parent near by and as time goes by the time will be increased with fewer parent visits. I believe it is very important to use this method..
lindsaychilders

Reply with quote  #4 
Toddler Scenario
I do not feel that it should be an expectation that ALL TODDLERS share every time.  They are still developing social and emotional skills that involve empathy.  They probably do not have all of the language skills to communicate things like wants and time.  The sub definitely needs some coaching and mentoring about this age group.  They would be served well with some modeling, re-direction, some positive words, and some interaction instead of complaint and removal of the toy.
blooms

Reply with quote  #5 
  1. Do you think this behavior or expectation is age appropriate?
This is an appropriate behavior for this age.

2.How could you explain this to the parents/co- workers/etc.?

Baby is starting to realize that he/she and caregiver are separate beings

3.Why might the child(ren) act this way?

Baby is dealing with what is to them a new reality. He or she just needs time to adjust.

4. What would you suggest and is there anything you can do to prevent this situation/problem from happening again?

I would just suggest remaining consistent with who is caring for baby and make sure that they remain patient and respond to babies needs.
Fozybear

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail.Friedlen
Toddlers:
It is not a fair expectation that all toddlers will understand that sharing is necessary for relationships. Instead of saying just share nicely it has to be explained why we must share and how there is a solution by finding another toy to play with that may be similar. Children may act this way because they do not understand that the object they desire may not be theirs. We can prevent these situations by having multiple of the same toys and be praising children when they do share to show the class that sharing is a kind and positive interaction.
Fozybear

Reply with quote  #7 
It is hard for toddlers to share. They see everything as mine! I encourage my children to ask the child for it rather than just taking it. Sometimes the child shares right away and sometimes not. If child doesn't share I encourage waiting child to play with something else noting that child will bring them toy when done. It usually is one or two minutes they are sharing. I praise both children on sharing and waiting.
Fozybear

Reply with quote  #8 
It is hard for toddlers to share. They see everything as mine! I encourage my children to ask the child for it rather than just taking it. Sometimes the child shares right away and sometimes not. If child doesn't share I encourage waiting child to play with something else noting that child will bring them toy when done. It usually is one or two minutes they are sharing. I praise both children on sharing and waiting.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.